12.20.2012

It's coming on Christmas

Considering it's the time of year when everyone heavily reflects on the the past 365 days and resolves to make changes, big or small, for the impending 365 days, I figured I would quantify mine again this year, and reflect on those I posted last year to gauge my progress... If there was any :).

To ring in 2013 like a champ, I want to start by recognizing that 2012 has been THE best year of my life. I'm 25 now, and I plan to have a couple of years ahead to top this one, but I couldn't have asked for anything better than what 2012 brought to the table. In order to move in a more positive direction, you have to acknowledge the things that make your life better. I haven't always been that person - I'm a cynic at heart - but, I noticed that when I started letting go of that cynicism as much as I could and started enjoying the things I wanted to do and the people I wanted to spend time with, things just started looking and feeling a lot better. When you're not constantly apologizing for your whole life, you actually enjoy it. PMA all day. That's my new way of life.

I suppose there are a few things that I want to accomplish in 2013.
  • I'd like to start by maintaining the positivity that I've finally managed to exercise. I'd like to increase it, if possible. I guess that really goes hand-in-hand with self-discovery. I know, that's trite, but I have my reasons for being so cliche.
  • I'd like to engage in more creative endeavors, like redesigning my apartment, actually starting to make the clothes I've been planning on making for two years, taking some acting classes, shit.. I might even start a band. I know, that last one is aggressive. 
  • I'd like to move to the West Coast this year. If only for a year or two. I will unabashedly own my love for Los Angeles. 
  • I'd like to spend more time educating myself. A lot more time. I spend enough time engaging my vices, so I'd like to counter that with a little more knowledge and little less wasted youth.
Last year I resolved to do three things: 1) stop spending like I'm a Kardashian (really, I wrote Warren Buffet, but Kardashian is probably more relatable); 2) take an active position in my overall health/fitness - word play!!; and 3) get more creative with repurposed and already-been-worn pieces. I would say that I've held pretty true to these, but made no big strides to accomplish or maintain these initiatives. I've definitely stopped spending on menial things, but amped up my travel expenses. I'd say that's a fair compromise because traveling is worth every penny, but those $200 dinners three times a week are a little ridiculous. When I think of all the things I could have spent that money on, or all the student loan debt I could have put that money toward, I cry a single tear and curse my (slightly) lavish irresponsibility. In tandem to that, I've definitely become more thrift-savvy. I've spent more time swapping clothes with friends, shopping at thrift & vintage stores, and restructuring the clothes in my wardrobe that just needed some extra oomph. As for the health and fitness initiative, well, it's no secret that I'm obsessive about the things I put in my body. My pantry looks like a super food/organic grocery store opened up shop in there. I'm very specific about the things I will and will not put into my body, to a fault sometimes. I think that everyone should be more aware of the things they're using to fuel Number One. I can't say I've been super diligent about making it to the gym, though. I go at least twice a week, which is more than I ever did when I was a bean pole, oddly enough. But, two times a week definitely needs to be more like four times a week. I know it's hard, and I'm lazy about it, but I know I can find the time. It's one of those habits that should be taking up the "down time" that's generally spent baking, or drinking wine and watching movies with my best friends. I think that I've made minimal progress this year, so I definitely want to add these back to my initiative list for next year and see if I can make more progress!

Here's to positive life changes in 2013! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment