3.29.2011

monophonic effect


So, I live with a buyer for a major retailer. I’m not going to say which, but I would say it’s the most famous, accessible department store – feel free to guess which it is. We often talk of trends and what they’re gearing up to release, or what the show rooms have for the upcoming season, etc. which I find as a relief because at least one of my friends is entwined in the fashion scene/is interested to the extent that I am. I think most of the reason I don’t promote my posts more is because my friends genuinely wouldn’t be interested in what I write about. “If your friends aren’t interested, who will be?” often pops into my head before I think about tweeting about a new post, or updating my status on Facebook to let people know to check it out – and maybe I’m jumping the gun and just assuming that because most of my friends aren’t interested in fashion that they wouldn’t be interested to read my commentary on it, but how will I know unless I shamelessly promote myself and hope to gain some more followers?

That aside has a point that relates to my roommate and I having fashion in common, I promise.

The other day, my roommate and I were discussing 2012 trends that they’re starting to buy for, and how to incorporate those into our wardrobes in the upcoming months so as to be fully prepared for the onset of the trend, etc. It was something that she didn’t have to inform me about first because I was, and am, already involved in the upcoming trends and formulating ways to dress them so that I still look like myself with the help of a few trendy pieces I find suitable. It felt nice to have the conversation aloud instead of via a blogging/twitter platform. It was also nice to recognize that while I may not be entirely engulfed in the fashion world (a.k.a. I work for a famous magazine publishing company, but we don’t specialize in fashion…), I still have my finger on the pulse and am educated (to an extent!) about it – I’m in the current, is what I’m trying to say – which can be questionable for someone like me who doesn’t get to spend all day researching, styling, or writing about the things I find the most aesthetically pleasing. If there were more hours in the day I would definitely gather more material and generate more content, but I have another job that engages my attention for 80% of the day (excuses, excuses). I have always been one of those people who wants to work from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. and then have a social life to top it off, but I always imagined that 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. being consumed with writing about/doing things that I love and the social life, well I always imagined that being consumed with a little bit of “shop talk” and a lot of being surrounded by people with common interests.. I think this is every ones dream, but only some get to live it.  

I'd like to have more of these conversations aloud. I really do have to take the time off and go to some of the events I get invited to.. It's the only way I'll be able to keep my sanity.

That was exceptionally long-winded.

No comments:

Post a Comment